Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Human Zoo

Written as a song, this came to me in 2 or 3 pieces.  At that stage it didn't have a title. 
I realised as it started to form that it was a reaction to a film I had seen - Danish writer/actor/director Rie Rasmussen's movie "Human Zoo".  Themes of violent men corrupting innocent women during and after an ethnic war, combined with an interview I subsequently read where she talked about people winning the ovarian lottery..................
Well, my subconscious clearly had plenty to process, and I woke one morning with a tune and the first 2 verses cycling in my head.  The rest came as I let it ferment.  No line is substantially changed from the original as it came to me.

Em                       C
You in that cheap little A-line dress
     Em                       D
Even cheaper perfume and your hair a mess
    Em                       C             G       D    D6
But still the most beautiful person in the room

There’s a light in you that comes from within
No taint of guilt or original sin
You must have sprung, straight from a perfect womb

You’re much too good for a man like me
There are much bigger oceans that have fish in their sea
I know you’ll leave me, I know you’ll leave me soon

All the men here would take you to the parking lot
Bend you over a car with a bonnet that’s hot
And give it to you baby, and howl like a dog at the moon

So put your foot to the floor and spin those wheels
Can you hear those dogs snapping at your heels?
There are no safe cages, here in the human zoo

Chorus:
D                               Em
There are no safe cages in this human zoo
D                       Em
No safe cages for me or you
D               D6
I’ve seen those animals
C                       Em
I know you’ve seen them too

Love and lust are our crosses to bear
And when you weave those flowers in your hair
Have mercy baby, we’re all just animals too

Don’t want to sound like a romantic type
So let me just stand here and bask in your light
Yeah there’s light there, baby, and it’s spilling right out of you

Blessed are the meek, they'll inherit the earth
A piece of dirt that’s all they’re worth
You’re like gold to them baby; the animals can smell it on you

So it’s out through the window or out through the door
Put the pedal to the metal, you know the score
Get away from this, and try to find a path that’s true

Chorus

Yeah, there’s a light in you that comes from within
No taint of guilt or original sin
You must have sprung straight from a perfect womb


© David Burne, July 2012, Control. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment